Pakistani speedster Haris Rauf will join the Melbourne Stars for the ongoing edition of the Big Bash League (BBL), according to the club’s official website.
In a statement, Stars head coach David Hussey said that change in international commitments and scheduling, Haris is now available to play for the franchise in January.
The 27-year-old had a stellar BBL last season where he bagged 20 wickets in 10 games. This included a five-wicket haul against Hobart Hurricanes and a hat-trick against Sydney Thunder.
“I’m very happy that I can come back to the Melbourne Stars this season and play at the MCG again,” said Rauf.
“It was an unbelievable journey last season and changed my life in so many ways. The Stars fans were very supportive of me and I can’t wait to play in front of them again. The support of all the Pakistan community in Melbourne was fantastic and hopefully, we can put in some big performances this season,” he added.
Melbourne Stars Head Coach and former Aussie cricketer David Hussey also welcomed Rauf’s return.
“Haris was one of the best stories of last season and made an incredible contribution for us. His energy was fantastic for the team and we’re really pleased to have him coming back. Haris gives us another dimension and threat in our bowling attack with his raw pace,” said Hussey.
Explaining the decision to sign Rauf for another seasons, Melbourne Stars General Manager Nick Cummins, said, “Initially we understood Pakistan commitments would rule Haris out of this year’s tournament. In the last week we were advised there was an opportunity for Haris to join us again. With his outstanding performances last year and great connection with our fans, we moved pretty quickly to make it happen.”
Haris is currently in New Zealand where he will be playing in the T20I series starting December 18. Haris Rauf is expected to arrive in Australia in early January. This season of the BBL will be played from December 10 to February 6.