An Islamabad sessions court on Thursday set October 6 for framing of charges in the Noor Mukadam murder case.

A total 12 people will be indicted in the case, including Zahir Zakir Jaffer, the key suspect in Noor’s murder, his parents Zakir Jaffer and Asmat Adamjee, three servants Iftikhar, Jan Muhammad and Jameel and six Therapy Works employees including Tahir Zahoor, Amjad, Dilip Kumar, Abdul Haq, Wamiq and Samar Abbas.

On Thursday, copies of the police report were distributed among the present suspects. Police submitted its report before Additional Sessions Judge Ata Rabbani on the last hearing on September 9.

The six Therapy Works employees who were granted bail on August 23 also appeared in court.

It was expected that the suspects will be indicted today. But it is at the judge’s discretion to decide the time frame within which the trial takes place.

THE REPORT: Police on Sept 9 submitted incomplete challan of the murder since the key evidence — mobile phone of suspect Zahir Jaffer — is yet to be examined. Its data has not been retrieved to place on judicial record.

According to Inspector Abdul Sattar, the officer investigating the case, the suspect’s mobile phone was damaged on the day of the incident and data could not be retrieved.

However, he said, an application had been filed before the court, seeking permission to get the mobile phone repaired as it might provide useful evidence to strengthen the prosecution’s case.

Interestingly, the police challan extensively cited Zahir’s phone, which he used frequently to speak to his parents and others.

According to the challan, the mobile phone was working even after Zahir beheaded Noor as it stated that Zakir Jaffer, father of the suspect, calmed his son down telling him that his men were on way to rescue him and dispose of the body.

This also surprised former inspector general of police Saleemullah Khan, who told Dawn that the investigating officer should have filed the application to get the mobile phone repaired in the beginning.

He also pointed out that the police did not invoke sections of the Anti-Terrorism Act and Hudood Ordinance which would make an out of court settlement difficult to achieve.

“Since the offences are compoundable, therefore, the accused persons may seek a compromise with the victim’s family and there is no law to stop this settlement,” he said, adding that the accused may face a trial under section 376 of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) for alleged rape.

PARENTS’ BAIL: Meanwhile, Justice Amir Farooq of the Islamabad High Court reserved his verdict on the bail application of Zahir’s parents.

Advocate Shah Khawar, the counsel for Noor’s family, opposed the plea. He said there were 18 witnesses, only two of whom were private witnesses and no unnecessary witnesses had been included.

“We will complete the trial very quickly [so] bail should not be given,” he said, adding that according to the evidence, the “parents were in contact with the suspect [and] they are related to the crime”.

Khawar said the evidence would be presented in the trail and reiterated that bail should not be granted since it was a “brutal murder”.

A police official told the court that the police had yet to receive the forensic report for the mobile phones from the Federal Investigation Agency and that the screen of Zahir’s mobile phone was broken while the password for Noor’s phone was still not found.

Justice Farooq remarked that “nowadays there are many experts who can do anything. Unfortunately, it must be said that if it is not possible for you, then get [the help of] any hacker from the market.”

Questions were also raised by the court about the link between the Therapy Works employees and the petitioners (Zahir’s parents).

The public prosecutor said Zahir’s mother, Asmat Adamjee, had worked as a consultant for Therapy Works while Zakir had called its CEO, Tahir Zahoor, twice after 7pm.

He said that guard Iftikhar had called Asmat at 6:40pm.

The court inquired when the Therapy Works employees and the police had reached the crime scene, to which the police official said that according to the CCTV footage, the employees had arrived at 8:06pm while the police had arrived at 10pm.

“This means that the police arrived there two hours later,” Justice Farooq remarked.

Meanwhile, the counsel for Zahir’s parents, Khawaja Haris, maintained that an incomplete interim challan had been submitted to the court.

“No evidence is present that has been proved at this stage,” he said, adding that the right to bail could not be denied at this stage.

Justice Farooq remarked that the case would decide the “future of criminal cases in our country”. He said that everyone would have to see how to link the evidence together from the incident.

THE MURDER: Noor, 27, was found murdered at a residence in Islamabad’s upscale Sector F-7/4 on July 20.

A first information report (FIR) was registered against Zahir, who was arrested from the crime scene, under Section 302 (premeditated murder) of the Pakistan Penal Code on the complaint of the victim’s father, Shaukat Ali Mukadam.

Zahir’s parents and household staff were arrested on July 24 on allegations of “hiding evidence and being complicit in the crime”. They were made a part of the investigation based on Shaukat’s statement, according to a police spokesperson.

In his complaint, Shaukat had stated that he had gone to Rawalpindi on July 19 to buy a goat for Eidul Azha, while his wife had gone out to pick up clothes from her tailor. When he had returned home in the evening, the couple found their daughter Noor absent from their house in Islamabad.

They had found her cellphone switched off, and started a search for her. Sometime later, Noor had called her parents to inform them that she was travelling to Lahore with some friends and would return in a day or two, according to the FIR.

The complainant said he had later received a call from the suspect, whose family were the ex-diplomat’s acquaintances. The suspect had informed Shaukat that Noor was not with him, the FIR said.

At around 10pm on July 20, the victim’s father had received a call from Kohsar police station, informing him that Noor had been murdered.

Police had subsequently taken the complainant to Zahir’s house in Sector F-7/4 where he discovered that his “daughter has been brutally murdered with a sharp-edged weapon and beheaded”, according to the FIR.

Shaukat, who identified his daughter’s body, has sought the maximum punishment under the law against Zahir for allegedly murdering his daughter.

Police later said that Zahir had confessed to killing Noor while his DNA test and fingerprints also showed his involvement in the murder.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here