Apprehensive of turbulent days till January 20, Vice President Mike Pence wants to keep the option of invoking the 25th Amendment, a source close to him says.
Quoting the source, CNN reported that Pence has not ruled out invoking the amendment. Pence and his team fear that President Donald Trump could take some rash action putting the nation at risk. In such a situation, the risk of invoking 25th Amendment or impeachment is there.
Under the 25th Amendment, the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet have to vote to remove the president from office due to his inability to discharge his duties. And if that happens, it would be an unprecedented step.
The president could write a letter to Congress disputing the move. In this scenario, Pence and the Cabinet would have four days to dispute him and Congress would then vote with a two-thirds supermajority — 67 senators and 290 House members — to permanently remove him.
Another source confirmed that the president and his trustworthy deputy have not spoken to each other since Wednesday’s attack on the Capitol during which five people were killed.
Trump has also not publicly denounced death threats hurled at Pence on social media, he added.
Moreover, the Pence camp is outraged that Trump did not take notice how Pence and his family fled from the mob that stormed the Capitol on Wednesday.
It led Pence to disagree with Trump publicly for the first time. Pence had been one of Trump’s biggest defenders, working quietly to further his priorities.
At present, Pence and his advisers are working to lend a helping hand to President-elect Joe Biden to take the Oval office in a peaceful and orderly manner.
Meanwhile, it is learnt that Pence has decided to attend Biden’s inauguration on January 20. And the president-elect has said he would welcome Pence.