“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” Queen Elizabeth II says in a statement.
The statement from the Palace, a day and a half after the interview of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan was broadcast in the US, said: “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
The statement was issued after the royal family elders held a crisis meeting as the Palace was under growing pressure to respond to the interview in which Meghan – the first mixed-race member of the modern royal family – said that questions had been asked about their son’s skin colour.
Prince Harry later clarified to Oprah Winfrey that the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh never made such a comment.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in their interview with Oprah Winfrey had taken the lid off from the life inside the Palace and talked about racism, mental health, the media and other members of the Royal Family.
Meghan had said that there had been times when “she didn’t want to be alive any more” because she found royal life so difficult. She said she asked for help from the Palace but received none.
Meanwhile, Prince Charles did not respond to a question during his visit to London if he had seen the interview.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson also watched the interview but did not offer a comment.
An average of 11.1m people in the UK watched the interview on Monday night.