In a bid to stem the spread of COVID-19 in the province, the Sindh government has imposed strict restrictions on any unnecessary movement after 8 pm starting from May 25.
This decision was taken in a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah. Yesterday, the government further extended the COVID-19 restrictions for two weeks.
The police chief has been directed to make sure that this is implemented properly. The chief minister said that we can still control the spread which has blown in the past 10 days.
“We can ease COVID restrictions in the city when new cases are controlled.”
Yesterday, the Sindh government announced the closure of all educational institutions in the province till the COVID-19 situation gets better.
While addressing a press conference, he said that the infection rate in Karachi has climbed above 13 per cent during Eid holidays.
The main reason for this spike is the violation of SOPs. On Friday, Sindh reported over 2,000 cases, an increase of 30pc from last week.
“At this point in time we can’t afford any relaxations,” he pointed out. “This is the time of caution and we will take difficult decisions if we have to.”
Beds at major hospitals in the province such as the Aga Khan Hospital, Indus Hospital, and Sindh Infectious Disease Hospital are reaching their capacity.
On Saturday, Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah chaired a meeting of the Coronavirus Task Force. During the meeting, which was attended by provincial ministers, medical experts, police officials, it was decided to extend the lockdown for two more weeks.
The Sindh health secretary informed the meeting that Karachi and Hyderabad accounted for 13.9% and 10% infections, respectively. It was further apprised that at least 213 people died of coronavirus in the past 30 days. The meeting was also expressed concerns that the cases were rising steadily after Eid. The Sindh CM said that a total of 24,299 samples were tested in Sindh in which 2,136 new cases were reported.
According to the Sindh CM’s spokesperson, it was decided that tourist centers, Seaview and Hawke’s Bay beaches and amusement parks will remain closed for another two weeks. Unlike the National Command and Operation Centre that allowed the shops to operate till 8pm, the Sindh government said that shops will close at 6pm.
All wedding halls in the province will remain closed, indoor and outdoor dining in hotels will remain closed. However, takeaways will be allowed, it was decided during the meeting.
The chief minister said that he will pay surprise visits to check the implementation of SOPs, adding that 50% of current total cases in the country are from Sindh.
He noted that complaints have beeb received from Karachi’s South and East districts and directed the respective deputy commissioners to ensure the implementation of safety protocols in their areas.