The opposition in Punjab Assembly on Friday withdrew the no-confidence motion against PML-Q leader Chaudhry Parvez Elahi – a move they had initiated Monday against the then chief minister as part of the two pronged strategy.
Justifying the decision, the PML-N and PPP argued that the no-confidence motion was unnecessary after Parvez “ceased to be the chief minister” following his denotification.
In this connection, the opposition leaders headed by PML-N chief whip Tahir Khalil Sindhu reached Punjab Assembly and said Punjab Governor Baligh-ur-Rehman’s notification to remove Parvez as chief made the notice “infructuous”.
However, Sindhu said only the no-trust motion against the former chief minister had been withdrawn and the ones against Punjab Assembly Speaker Sibtain Khan and the deputy speaker would remain.
In his comments, Federal Minister Saad Rafique said, “Both Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa assemblies are now secure,” and “PTI should perform in their remaining governments instead of making failed attempts to create agitation and chaos.”
Meanwhile, Parvez reached the Punjab Assembly on Friday afternoon to attend the session scheduled for today where is holding meetings with the members
The Punjab Assembly’s ongoing session will be held following the speaker’s disposal on Tuesday of the governor’s order for Parvez to obtain a vote of confidence from the house, terming it “against the Constitution and Rules of Procedure”.
PML-N members in Governor’s House
Separately, the PML-N’s Punjab Assembly members were directed to reach the Governor’s House for a meeting called for consultations to discuss the prevailing situation and the future course of action.