PTI Chairman Imran Khan gave six-day ultimatum to government to dissolve assemblies and announce schedule for general elections.

Addressing the participants of the “Azadi March” at Jinnah Avenue, Islamabad, on Thursday morning he said it took him 30 hours to reach the capital from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

“The government has used every tactic to crush our Azadi March, they used teargas on peaceful protesters, our homes were raided and privacy of the homes were violated, however I have seen the nation free itself of fear of slavery,” he said.

Imran said three PTI workers lost their lives in Karachi while two workers were thrown off Ravi Bridge and thousands of others were arrested.

Giving a deadline to the government to announce the date for fresh polls in the country, Imran Khan said, “he is giving a six-day ultimatum to the government to dissolve assemblies and announce general elections in June.”

“My message for imported government is to dissolve assemblies and announce elections, otherwise I will come back again to Islamabad after six days,” he added.

ARMY SUMMONED: As the situation turned chaotic in Islamabad after PTI Chairman Imran Khan and his convoy entered the federal capital and started marching towards the D-Chowk, the government decided to seek the help of army to control the situation and protect the Red Zone. 

A notification issued in this said that “the army is summoned to control the situation under Article 245 of the Constitution.”

The decision comes after the protests staged by PTI workers took a violent turn as they clashed with law enforcement agencies (LEAs) in the federal capital and injured rangers, police, and Frontier Constabulary personnel, according to the Islamabad Police spokesperson. 

Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah took to Twitter and confirmed the development. 

Following the government’s decision to summon the army, Islamabad Police issued a warning to the protesters and asked them to refrain from entering the Red Zone.

“Entry into the Red Zone will not be tolerated. All protesters and their leaders are requested to refrain from entering the said area in compliance with the orders of the court,” the Islamabad Police tweeted.

Later, the Inspector-General of Islamabad Police Dr Akbar Nasir Khan issued a statement and said that the police had been ordered not to use “unnecessary force” against the protesters.

“The police and other law enforcement agencies deployed in Islamabad are not carrying any weapons. But information has been received that some of the protesters are carrying weapons that could lead to the loss of precious lives. Therefore, all protesters are requested to keep the protest peaceful as it was a political process.”

Meanwhile, on the way to the federal capital, Imran and his caravan stopped at Hasan Abdal where he addressed workers and said that as soon as the police would see him reaching D-Chowk, it too would realise that “we are here for jihad, not politics.”

“We will not leave D-Chowk until the government announces a date for the elections in June,” Imran said.

Earlier, protesters that had reached D-Chowk continued clashing with the police. As a result, the LEAs fired teargas shells at the demonstrators. Once the shelling stopped, PTI workers started assembling at the intersection again. Seeing that, the police fired teargas shells to disperse them once again.

FAZAL-UR-REHMAN: Taking to Twitter, JUI-F chief Maulana Fazal-ur-Rehman condemned the deteriorated law and order situation in the capital and said that the Supreme Court had made the executive’s policy to maintain the law and order situation ineffective which created an impression of facilitating the PTI.

“Now the SC will have to clear its position and take steps to remove this impression of facilitating the PTI,” he said.

Maulana Fazal said the apex court should begin contempt of court proceedings against the PTI leadership for violating the commitment made in the SC.

Following the Supreme Court’s order for the government and the PTI to hold negotiations in a bid to control the situation, the government’s team, headed by PML-N leader Ayaz Sadiq, reached the commissioner’s office but the PTI team, led by Babar Awan, returned without holding the talks due to the late arrival of the government’s team.

Speaking to the press following the fiasco, Sadiq said it was decided to meet at 10 pm but “due to the closure of roads, the government’s team got late.

He said he was continuously in contact with the chief commissioner of Islamabad regarding the delay.

“We were gathered here on SC’s orders but now leaving as a sign of protest,” he told journalists. The PML-N leader added that the purpose of the dialogue was to select a place and set a guideline for PTI’s protest.

“Following the court’s order, we have removed obstacles but the city was set on fire,” he added. “The chief commissioner had been continuously calling the PTI team but they were not responsive. However, we will wait here a little longer for them.” 

He added: “Imran Khan has violated SC’s order and asked workers to reach D-Chowk instead of coming here.”

Sadiq said that “if we don’t obey the SC’s order, then we are charged with contempt of court. But when we followed the orders, this is what happened.”

BLUE AREA: Earlier, PTI protesters set vehicles and trees on fire in the Blue Area of the federal capital.

According to the police, the fire brigade was called immediately to douse the fire; however, the protestors also attacked the fire engine.

QUESTTA, KARACHI: As Imran Khan’s convoy entered Islamabad, PTI workers reached outside Balochistan Assembly in Quetta and staged a sit-in there to demand fresh elections in the country.

PTI’s Balochistan chapter spokesperson Nazeer Achakzai said workers were protesting against the government’s violence against protestors in Islamabad.

“We will now stage a peaceful protest here in front of the Assembly,” he said.

Late Wednesday evening, PTI workers had also staged a protest at Karachi’s Numaish Chowrangi, where they set a police van on fire.

During the demonstrations, several policemen, including a superintendent of police (SP), were injured as the protesters pelted stones at them. The police started aerial firing after which the number of protesters increased.

Protesters and police clashed near the Khudadad Colony and Noorani Chowrangi. During the protests, Asif Hasan, a foreign news agency photographer, and Geo News cameraman Nasir Ali suffered injuries. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here