PTI Chairman Imran Khan disregarded the third summons issued by the joint investigation team (JIT) formed to investigate a terrorism case filed against him and did not appear before it.

Following the orders of the Islamabad High Court (IHC), the head of the JIT issued a summon to Imran for the third time and asked him to report to the Margalla Police Station, Islamabad, on Sunday at 6 pm.

A case was lodged against him for allegedly threatening a lower court judge, Zeba Chaudhry. Last week, the IHC asked the former prime minister to ensure that he cooperates with the police in the case’s investigation.

According to the notice issued to Imran, he must appear before the JIT and answer questions related to the charges levelled against him. The notice further stated that despite the orders of the IHC, he neither appeared before the JIT nor clarified his position regarding the case.

The JIT — in the recent notice — mentioned that Imran was summoned on September 9 and 10 for the investigation of the case as well and the JIT waited for his arrival at the designated time, but he never showed up.

Although he did not appear before the JIT, he submitted a reply on September 9 through his lawyer stating that the threats issued to a female judge in rally do not fall under terrorism and the case should be dismissed as he is “innocent”.

“I am the chairman of Tehreek-e-Insaf, I have been the prime minister of Pakistan, the government tortured [my aide] Shahbaz Gill due to political opposition, the report filed in the Islamabad High Court proved the torture of Shahbaz Gill,” Khan told the JIT in the letter.

The PTI leader added that what he said in the speech cannot be categorised as terrorism, adding that he neither committed any illegal acts nor harmed anyone.

THE CASE: A first information report (FIR) was registered against the former prime minister on August 21 under the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) for threatening the additional sessions judge and senior police officers of the Islamabad Police at a rally in the federal capital’s F-9 Park.

The FIR was registered on the complaint of magistrate Ali Javed at Islamabad’s Margalla Police Station under Section 7 of ATA.

Following this, Khan managed to secure transit bail till August 25 from the IHC but was asked to approach the ATC as it was the relevant forum. Then, the trial court extended the interim bail till September 12 in the terrorism case.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here