New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has reportedly paid “compensation” to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for the losses incurred due to last-minute abandoning of its scheduled tour last year citing a “security threat”, it is learnt.
The compensation amount has not been disclosed but as per sources, PCB will now make huge profits from New Zealand’s next year’s tour to Pakistan, where 10 white-ball games are expected to be played.
A PCB insider said that the NZC also agreed to play five additional Twenty20 Internationals and five One-Day Internationals in May next year.
“These 10 matches are in addition to the two Tests and three ICC Super League ODIs, which will be played in December-January,” he added.
The New Zealand cricket team had arrived in Pakistan on September 11 last year after 18 years to play three ODIs and five T20 Internationals.
The Kiwis team, however, abandoned the tour on Sept 17 minutes before the start of first ODI in Rawalpindi. They had cited a “security threat” as the reason without divulging any further information. The tour cancellation was followed by England also abandoning their tour.
The PCB announced in December that the New Zealand cricket team would tour twice in 2022-23.
“NZC has confirmed to tour Pakistan for two Tests and three ODIs in December-January 2022-23 as part of the Future Tours Programme and will return in April 2023 for 10 white-ball matches to make up for the September 2021 abandoned tour.”
Meanwhile, PCB is also considering playing a tri-series with New Zealand and Bangladesh in the first week of October Down Under just ahead of the T20 World Cup in Australia.
“The NZC has invited the PCB for a tri-series in New Zealand in the lead up to the T20 World Cup,” a PCB spokesperson said.
“We are presently reviewing the invite and will revert to the NZC following a consultation process,” he added.
PCB will confirm the tour to New Zealand after deciding the dates with England as they are scheduled to travel to Pakistan for seven T20Is planned in October.