The US has said that it will work to ensure Americans and Afghan partners could leave Afghanistan beyond August 31.

In a press briefing, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said, “We will use every diplomatic, economic assistance tool at our disposal, working hand-in-hand with the international community, first and foremost to ensure that those who want to leave Afghanistan after the 31st are able to do so.”

There is no deadline on the work to help Americans and those Afghan partners who remained in the country to leave, Blinken told reporters in a pressing briefing. “That effort will continue every day past Aug. 31.”

However, the latest statement from the Taliban showed they might be unwilling to cooperate with Washington on this issue.

“We are not in favour of Afghans to leave, we are not happy with departure of Afghans,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said.”The crowds have not been cleared outside the airport. We want the Americans to bring changes in their policy of encouraging Afghans to leave.”

According to Blinken, around 19,000 people had been evacuated during a 24 hour period.

In total, over 82,300 people had been flown out of Kabul since Aug. 14

The story was filed by the News Desk.
The Desk can be reached at info@thecorrespondent.com.pk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here