The death toll in a collision between two trains near Ghotki in Sindh province has surged to 62 with more than 100 injuries.
The authorities in Sukkur confirmed on Tuesday the death of 62 passengers of the Millat Express and Sir Syed Express.
Pakistan Railways DS Sukkur Tariq Latif told the media that the rescue operation had been completed and the track has been cleared. Seventeen coaches and the engine of a train damaged in the crash have been removed, he added.
After more than 27 hours’ suspension, the train service has been restored, he said and added that the speed of trains in the affected area has been kept slow.
DS Latif said seven more bodies today. He expressed the fear that the death toll could rise further as some injured were in critical condition.
Meanwhile, a Pakistan Railways spokesperson said that the authorities will pay Rs1500,000 to the heirs of a dead and between Rs50,000 and Rs300,000 to the injured as compensation in accordance with the policy.
THE MINISTER: Railways Minister Azam Swati promised a comprehensive inquiry into the crash and said those found responsible for the Ghotki accident will be punished.
He said the track in the Sukkur division was in poor condition. But the train track was in a better condition where the accident took place, he added.