A key military base of US forces in downtown, the New Kabul Compound, also known as NKC, was handed over to the Ministry of Defense at a ceremony on Friday.

Fawad Aman, a spokesman for the Defense Ministry, said that US and NATO forces commander General Scott Miller emphasised the international community’s continued support to Afghan forces.

The withdrawal of the US and NATO forces from the country started on May 1. So far, according to figures provided by US Central Command, the Pentagon has retrograded the equivalent of approximately 160 C-17 loads of material out of Afghanistan and has turned over more than 10,000 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposition. 

The figures also show that the US had by last week officially handed over five facilities to the Afghan Ministry of Defense. 

Pentagon officials have said that the US has completed up to 25 percent of the entire withdrawal process.

Meanwhile, President Ashraf Ghani at a ceremony at the Kabul University said that with the withdrawal of the US and coalition forces from the country, a new chapter has been opened in Afghanistan’s relations with its allies as well as with the region. He reiterated that the new chapter requires proper planning. 

Violence remains high in the country, especially after the three-day ceasefire from May 13 to May 15. 

On Saturday, the Ministry of Defense said that at least 210 Taliban were killed in clashes and operations by Afghan forces in 18 provinces, including Kabul, in the last 24 hours.

The story was filed by the News Desk.
The Desk can be reached at info@thecorrespondent.com.pk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here